This loaded baked cauliflower is creamy, full of flavor, and packed with nutrient-dense ingredients! It makes a great side dish that everyone will love, is a great low carb option, and in my opinion, one of the best ways to get some veggies in! This recipe is vegan, while still packing in that cheese-y flavor, gluten free, and paleo friendly!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- It is SO easy to make!
- This cauliflower bake packs in tons of veggies!
- It can be made to fit any dietary needs.
- Makes a cozy side dish.
- Full of nutrient dense ingredients while not lacking on flavor.
- This recipe is a fun way to switch things up & enjoy cauliflower in a new way!
Ingredients to make loaded baked cauliflower
Milk: I used canned coconut milk but you can use almond milk, regular milk if you’re not dairy free, etc.
Avocado oil mayonnaise: I love primal kitchen! I recommend making sure you check the ingredients on your mayo, as most are made with inflammatory oils. Primal kitchen also makes a vegan option.
Arrowroot starch/flour: You could try subbing tapioca flour!
Nutritional yeast: This adds a cheese-like savory flavor to the recipe and really elevates it! It also packs in a ton of vitamins and protein. Skipping this will definitely take away from the flavor, so if you do, I’d recommend stirring in some cheese before baking.
Spices: We use a mix of sea salt, pepper, and red pepper.
Red onion: You can also use white onion or shallot.
Spinach: This is optional but packs in a bunch of extra nutrients and adds a pop of color to the recipe!
Garlic: A superhero food! Garlic is incredible for you, while also boosting the flavor of the recipe. Don’t leave it out!
Olive oil: You can sub ghee, coconut oil, or avocado oil.
Let’s make some baked cauliflower!
- First you’ll steam your cauliflower until it’s fork tender.
- In the meantime, you’ll start making the sauce by sautéing the onion until tender. Then you add in the remaining ingredients.
- Once the sauce is ready, you’ll add the steamed cauliflower to the sauce and give everything a good toss.
- Then you bake!
Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.
More veggie recipes to try
Sweet & Spicy cauliflower wings
Crispy smashed potatoes with pesto aioli
Loaded Baked Cauliflower (Vegan, Paleo)
- 1 medium/large head of cauliflower
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup milk, of choice
- 1/3 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped finely
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot flour
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp dried herbs (parsley, chives, etc)
- green onion, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Oil a square casserole dish and set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and add to a steamer pot. Steam until fork tender.
- In the meantime, add the oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook a few minutes until they've softened.
- Add in the spinach and stir well. Then add in the milk, mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, spices and herbs. Once that's mixed well, stir in the arrowroot flour. Pour in the steamed cauliflower and toss everything together.
- Pour the cauliflower into the oiled casserole dish. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven. Top with green onion and enjoy!