These crispy garlic smashed potatoes are the BEST snack, appetizer, or side dish – especially served with pesto aioli! Super easy to make, they’re crispy on the outside, soft in the center, and full of flavor!Jump to Recipe
how to make the best Crispy smashed potatoes
Go for smaller potatoes, rather than larger ones. The smaller potatoes are not only going to be easier to smash, but they are also easier to eat! These tend to get crispiest.
Red or yellow baby potatoes work best, in my opinion. You can honestly use any type of baby potato, but I have had the best results with red and yellow potatoes.
Don’t skimp on the olive oil. The olive oil is what really allows the potatoes to get crispy! Make sure to choose a quality oil for the best taste and nutritional benefits! If you don’t want to use olive oil you can substitute avocado oil or ghee.
Give the potatoes space. Try your best to leave a little tiny space in between the potatoes. If they are on top of each other, they won’t get as crispy!
Serve immediately! The potatoes won’t stay super crispy forever, so these are best served immediately from the oven!
Dipping sauce suggestions
I love these crispy garlic smashed potatoes with pesto aioli. Potatoes and herbs just belong together, it’s the most delicious pairing! You could also serve them with Romesco sauce, garlic aioli, ketchup, hot sauce, Toum, tahini sauce, or green goddess dressing!
What to serve with smashed potatoes
I think crispy garlic smashed potatoes make the perfect holiday appetizer or side dish! They are a crowd pleaser and great finger food. Serve these with your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, as a snack for football Sunday, or as an appetizer.
How to make crispy garlic smashed potatoes
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Place on the stove top on medium-high heat and bring to a boil, letting it simmer until they are fork tender. Drain and let cool a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes to a large sheet pan that is greased with olive oil. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and add sea salt and pepper. Use the bottom of a glass or lid to smash the potatoes.
- Drizzle on the remaining olive oil and seasonings.
- Bake until crispy!
if you’re craving more potatoes
Let me know if you give these a try and tag me on Instagram if you do! xo
Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes with Pesto Aioil
- 2 lbs baby potatoes, red or gold
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tbsp oregano * or other herbs of choice
- 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tbsp dried chives
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot. Cover with water. Place the pot on the stovetop on medium-high heat, until it boils. Let the water simmer for 15 or so minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain and let them cool 5 minutes.
- Grab a large sheet pan and grease with olive oil. Place the potatoes on it. Drizzle the potatoes with 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Using the bottom of a glass, smash the potatoes until they are about 1/4" thick. Make sure there is a little room between each on the pan so they get crispy.
- Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and herbs/seasonings.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until crispy to your liking, rotating the pan half way through.
- Serve immediately with the pesto aioli or dipping sauce of choice.
- Mix together the pesto and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Taste and adjust as you'd like.