This vegan broccoli cheese soup is the perfect, easy recipe to add to your fall soup rotation! I grew up on broccoli cheddar soup and knew I needed to create a dairy free version so I could still enjoy it today! This version is packed with good for you ingredients, all the cozy cheesy flavor, while being vegan!
why you’ll love this Vegan broccoli cheese soup
- It’s made in one pot
- Super creamy, comforting, hearty
- Full of cheesy flavor without any cheese
- Makes a great vegan and gluten free option
- Great for meal prep!
- Full of nourishing ingredients
Ingredients to make broccoli cheddar soup
- Nutritional yeast: This gives a ton of the flavor to the soup, so don’t skip it! It’s a great vegan “cheesey” option while also adding protein and nutrients to the soup!
- Produce: Broccoli, onion, carrot, potatoes, and garlic
- Broth: You can use veggie broth, chicken broth, or bone broth for a high protein option
- Cashews: cashews are what helps add the creaminess to the recipe without having to add coconut milk or heavy cream!
Equipment you’ll need
- Dutch oven or large pot
- Blender: I recommend a high powered blender for that extra creamy/smooth consistency!
Let’s make some soup!
- In a large dutch oven or pot, cook the onion and carrots a few minutes until the soften. Then you’ll add in the potatoes and remaining ingredients.
- Bring the soup to a boil, letting cook 10 minutes.
- At this point, you will remove about a cup of the potatoes using a slotted spoon and add them to a blender with the nutritional yeast, cashews, and broth. Once smooth, you’ll add the mixture back to the pot, stirring it in until super creamy.
Frequently asked questions
- How long does this soup last? It’ll last 3-4 days in an air-tight container in the fridge.
- Can you freeze the soup? Yes! This soup freezes nicely!
- Do you have to soak the cashews prior to blending them? If you don’t have a high powered blender, I do recommend soaking the cashews in hot water for 30 minutes prior, just to help make the easier to blend. However you don’t have to!
More recipes you’ll love!
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 1/2 cups broth
- 2 large carrots
- 3 large gold potatoes or 5-6 smaller ones
- 1/2 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1/2 tsp pepper *more to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
To add to the blender:
- 1 cup of the cooked potatoes from the soup pot
- 1 cup broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Chop the carrots and potatoes into small chunks. Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Then add the carrots and onion. Let cook a few minutes (5-6 or so) until they've began to soften.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (potatoes, soup, seasonings). Bring to a boil. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, lower the heat to low. Give the soup a good stir. Using a slotted spoon, remove about a cup of potatoes from the pot and place in a blender. Add in the remaining blender ingredients and blend a minute or so until completely smooth.
- Add the mixture back to the soup pot, mixing it in well so it's nice and creamy. Taste the soup and adjust as you'd like (more seasoning, etc). Serve with some chopped green onion or parsley and a swirl of sour cream or coconut or greek yogurt and enjoy!