Calling all cookie dough lovers.. these caramel cookie dough bars are the perfect thing to prep and stash in your freezer for when that sweet tooth hits! They are made with whole-foods, refined sugar and gluten free, and plant-based!
Cookie dough in any form might be one of my favorite things ever, so these bars are magical. They have a cookie dough base, topped with a gooey caramel, then topped with a thick chocolate coating.
What is in the caramel cookie dough bars?
The base consists of:
Almond flour: This adds that real light and fluffy cookie dough feel!
Maple syrup + molasses: You can sub the molasses for more maple syrup but I love the flavor it gives!
Protein powder: You can sub more almond flour. If you are using protein, I recommend using a flavor you REALLY like as it’ll just add even more flavor to the recipe. I use Macro Mike (use code “amb-dani” to save on any order)
Cinnamon, vanilla, and sea salt
The caramel consists of:
Almond butter: You can sub any nut or seed butter but I find almond and cashew to really have that caramely flavor.
Maple syrup: This can be subbed for your favorite sticky sweetener but the maple flavor goes amazing with the cinnamon.
Maca Powder: This is optional, but I highly recommend! Maca has loads of health benefits and offers a super unique taste to the recipe that goes so well with caramel!
Coconut oil: This will add a little stability to the caramel.
Chocolate chunks: I always use Hu Kitchen, to keep things refined sugar-free. You can use “Danishealthyeats” for a discount on any order!
How do you make caramel cookie dough bars?
They are SO simple:
- Mix together the base ingredients until a cookie dough forms.
- Press into a lined loaf pan.
- Whisk together the caramel ingredients until smooth and pour over the base.
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel layer.
- Freeze for a few hours before cutting into bars!
How do you store leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in the freezer in an air-tight container. Let a piece thaw for a few minutes before enjoying!
Caramel Cookie Dough Bars
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup protein powder **
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses (or more maple)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp maca powder optional
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil optional
- Mix together base ingredients until cookie dough forms, taste and adjust as needed.
- Press into the bottom of a lined loaf pan. Mix the caramel ingredients together until smooth. Spread over top of the base.
- Melt the chocolate until smooth. Pour over the caramel layer.Place in the freezer until set, 2 hrs. Cut into bars and enjoy!