These banana caramel cookies are the best way to use up spotty bananas if you’re not feeling banana bread! They are free of gluten and refined sugar and are vegan as well!
I know I might be the only one, but banana bread just isn’t my favorite thing to make. So when I have spotty bananas, these banana caramel cookies are always my go-to! They are SO easy to make and caramel and banana is seriously too good together! You can also spice them up a bit by adding some cinnamon to the cookies or the caramel or even dipping them in white chocolate instead of dark!
What do you need to make them?
Almond flour: This makes up the base of the cookie. If you can’t have almonds, you can try subbing any nut or seed flour. To make sunflower flour, grind raw sunflower seeds until you reach a flour consistency.
Bananas: the star of the show! This is the base of the caramel. Use the ripest bananas you have for optimal sweetness (aka make sure they’re BROWN).
Coconut Sugar: This will also help form the caramel layer. You can sub half monk fruit to lower the sugar content a bit, if you’d like.
Canned coconut milk: This is used in the caramel. You’ll want to scoop the thick cream on the top out and use that! I don’t have a sub for this at this time, sorry!
Chocolate chips: For coating the outside! I always go with Hu Kitchen to keep things refined sugar-free! You can use code “Danishealthyeats” for 15% off any order!
How to make the cookies:
- Mix together the dough ingredients for the base, bake, and let cool.
- While the cookies are baking, make the banana caramel on the stovetop by mixing everything together, bringing to a boil, and then letting simmer until caramel consistency.
- Freeze to firm up, then dip in the melted chocolate. Freeze again until set!
How to store the banana caramel cookies:
You’ll want to keep these stored in the freezer to keep them firm! When I want one, I’ll let it thaw for 10 minutes or so before enjoying!
Banana Caramel Cookies
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 super ripe bananas
- 4 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
- Blend the banana caramel ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add it to a pot over medium-high heat, bringing it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, until its begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cookie ingredients until dough forms. Roll into balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. Flatten them slightly with your palm, as they won't spread on their own.
- Bake at 325F for 15 or so minutes, until the edges begin to golden. Let cool.
- Add a dollop of the caramel to the tops of the cooled cookies. Place in the freezer to allow it to firm up a bit, so you can dip them in the melted chocolate – about 15 mins.
- Once hardened enough to dip, melt the chocolate. Quickly dip each cookie into the chocolate and return to the cookie sheet. Place in the freezer until ready to eat!