If you’re on the hunt for the perfect, light, refreshing summer snack or meal, these vegan cucumber sushi rolls are perfect! I always order these out at restaurants and was too intimidated to make them at home, but they are way easier than I thought! Now they are on repeat! They can be made paleo, vegan, and gluten-free, so they’re a great option for any diet!
Are cucumber rolls a healthy option?
Totally! Cucumbers are a super hydrating vegetable so they’re a great option, especially during the summer months! I can’t get enough of them honestly. You can also serve them with something on the side, like some rice or quinoa, a side salad with some olive oil, etc., to add some more substance to make it a meal! However, I do have a few tips to build the most satisfying rolls:
- Add PROTEIN! This is so important. I make it a goal to add a source of protein at each meal. I usually opt for grilled tofu in these, because I love the texture of it, but you can use any protein of your choice. Tempeh or even fish if you’re not vegan. You can also always sprinkle in hemp seeds to your rice for a boost!
- Don’t skimp on healthy fats! I love serving these with an almond or peanut satay sauce or spicy mayo made with avocado oil. I also add avocado to the inside of mine. As mentioned above, if you did use hemp seeds, these would also be a great source of healthy fats!
Can you make these cucumber sushi rolls Paleo or grain-free?
Definitely! To be honest, I’m not the biggest rice fan (I’m not sure if it’s a texture or taste thing?). So when I make these, I’ll make some with sushi rice for Thomas and some with either riced hearts of palm (Palmini is great) or riced cauliflower. I have a trick to making “sticky” cauliflower rice! Add your cauliflower rice to a bowl and add a dash of vinegar and a tsp of psyllium husk. Stir it well and let it sit for a few minutes and it’ll become “sticky” like sushi rice!
How to make the Vegan cucumber sushi rolls:
I know it can look complicated, but it couldn’t be easier!
- Cut your cucumber in half.
- Use a skinny spoon or metal straw to core the cucumber, creating a hollow inside.
- Stuff the cucumber. I use a chopstick or straw to press the ingredients against the side of the cucumber to create room for more!
- Cut them into slices.
- Make the dipping sauce and enjoy!
What dipping sauces are good with these?!
You can use anything you’d dip sushi in!
-Simple coconut aminos and wasabi or sriracha
-Spicy mayo (I use avocado oil mayonnaise and sriracha)
-Peanut sauce (I have a recipe on my site here!)
-Opt for larger cucumbers as this will make them easier to make!
-These are best eaten straight away, however they could probably be made earlier in the day and still be okay for dinner!
Vegan Cucumber Sushi Rolls
- 1-2 cucumbers * See Notes
- 1 serving protein of choice
- 1/3 cup sushi rice or riced cauliflower
- 1/2 avocado sliced thin
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- *any other add-ins of your choice! Green onion is great too!
- If using cauliflower rice: To make "sticky" cauliflower rice, add the riced cauliflower to a bowl and add a dash of rice vinegar and a tsp of psyllium husk. Stir and let sit for a few minutes to become sticky!Cut the cucumber in half. Using a skinny spoon or straw, core the cucumber hollowing out the inside.
- Grab your fillings and protein of choice. I opted for grilled tofu and cut it into thin strips.
- Scoop some of the rice into the cucumber and use the straw or a chopstick to press it against the inside wall of the cucumber to make room for the other fillings. Do the same with the remaining ingredients.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
- I like to dip mine in peanut sauce or spicy mayo (made with avocado oil mayonnaise!)