You only need a few ingredients and a few minutes to throw together this strawberry icebox cake! I even have some hacks to where you’ll only need 3 ingredients.. They’re absolutely to die for and couldn’t be easier – perfect for summer, get togethers, or when you just want a quick and easy, healthier treat! It’s vegan and paleo, too!
Tell me I’m not the only one that grew up with icebox cakes.. they were a staple in our house. Probably because my. mom couldn’t be trusted to bake or cook anything so OF COURSE she opted for the easiest dessert ever, ha. But for good reason – they are SO good and so versatile. You can really make it any flavor you like!
What is a icebox cake?
Technically icebox cake isn’t cake. It’s no-bake and you throw it in the fridge to set up, nonetheless, we call it a cake because I don’t think anyone knows what else to call it.
The base is either cookies or graham crackers. To make this healthier version, I opted for store-bought cookies. I chose a paleo refined sugar-free option. Simple Mills crunchy cookies are my all time fave (they also make graham’s now too, that would be amazing!) But you can use any graham cracker or cookie you like.
Then there’s a layer of whipped cream. To be honest, you can make this even easier on yourself and just use store-bought cool whip. So Delicious makes a great vegan coconut whipped topping and Whole Foods also has a cheaper one that is great!
Then, depending on the flavor you want to make, you’ll add in a filling. Whether it’s chocolate, peanut butter, or in this case, strawberries!
Equipment you’ll need:
You’ll just need a good hand or stand mixer! I used the Ninja Kitchen Foodie Hand Mixer which is both a mixer and immersion blender. The perfect two in one appliance to save kitchen space, without sacrificing on performance! I couldn’t recommend it more!
Can you make this Strawberry Icebox Cake ahead of time?
YES! This “cake” is supposed to sit in the fridge for awhile, so it’s the perfect recipe to make for any sort of picnics, get-togethers, bbq’s, all that! The longer it sits, the better it is. You can make it the night before and leave it covered in the fridge, too. However, I think it’s best after a few hours.
Some other no-bake desserts you may love!
Orange Chocolate Ganache Tarts
Strawberry Icebox Cake (Vegan & Paleo)
- 2 boxes Simple Mills Toasted Pecan Cookies *or any graham cracker/cookies of your choice
- 3 cups Vegan Coconut whip *Store-bought or homemade
- 1 cup fresh strawberries diced
For homemade coconut whip
- 13.5 oz full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grab a 9×9 baking dish. Add the diced strawberries to a bowl and use an immersion blender to break them down a bit. You can leave some bigger pieces. Alternatively, you could use strawberry jam.
- Add a layer of cookies to the bottom of the pan, covering it the best you can.
- Add 1/3 of the coconut whip over the cookies. Then add 1/2 of the strawberry puree.
- Add another layer of cookies over the strawberries. Add 1/3 cup of the whipped cream and the last bit of strawberries.
- Top with the remaining cookies and spread the last 1/3 of coconut whip over top.
- I save a few cookies to crinkle on top for the crumb effect. You can top it with halved strawberries, too.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 6 hours.