Ready to eat in 10 minutes, this healthy vegan queso will quickly become a staple in your house! It’s ultra rich and creamy from the cashew base and get’s it’s perfect flavor from a mix of spices and nutritional yeast. Serve it warmed up with your favorite chips, crackers, or veggies or meal prep for the week to serve on burrito bowls, tacos, etc!
Why this is the best vegan queso
- It’s absolutely foolproof! It could not be easier to make and you can adjust the flavor to your preferences.
- Made in 10 minutes, in one blender.
- Packed full of nutrient dense ingredients.
- It is dairy free, gluten free, & paleo.
- Will keep for 5 days, making it a great meal prep idea to add on meals throughout the week.
Tips for making the best queso
- Use a high-powered blender for the creamiest results. I use my Vitamix and couldn’t recommend it more!
- Soak the cashew nuts prior to making the queso. I like to add the cashews to a small pot and cover them with water. Then I place the pot on medium-high heat, bringing it to a boil. Turn the heat off, then let them soak for at least 20 minutes. Strain, then use!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Raw Cashews: You’ll want to soak the cashews prior to making this recipe. See note in “TIPS” section above!
- Nutritional yeast: This makes up the base of the flavor of the recipe! It also adds protein and vitamins to the recipe.
- Jalapeno: I like to add one to the blender with the remaining ingredients. However, if you don’t like spice you can leave it out or use less!
- Red bell pepper
- Lemon juice
- Tahini: You don’t taste it specifically, but it adds an amazing depth of flavor and creaminess to the recipe. I love this brand.
- Garlic cloves & sea salt
- Can of diced green chiles: This is optional but really gives it that queso feel!
- Serve with your favorite chips or crackers!
- Serve with veggies like bell pepper strips or zucchini.
- Warm it up and drizzle over burrito bowls.
- Add a little on top of your chili.
- Add to tacos or spread over any tortilla.
Storing leftover healthy vegan queso
Store leftovers for up to 5 days in an air-tight container in the fridge.
More recipes you’ll love!
Heyyy! You’ve made it this far, so be sure to tag me on instagram @danishealthyeats if you try!
Healthy Vegan Queso
- 1 cup cashews Soaked *See notes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 jalapeno *more as desired
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup unsweetened milk of choice (i used cashew) *more as needed
- 1/2 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pico de gallo
- chopped cilantro
- diced jalapeno
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender, adding the milk first.
- Blend a few minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until SUPER smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasoings/flavors as needed. If your mixture is too thick for your liking, you can add a splash more milk, but you wont want to add too much as it'll become watery and won't thicken up.
- You can heat the queso in a bowl in the microwave or a pot on the oven on low before serving.