This healthy peanut butter cookie dough blizzard is a whole-foods based take on the classic Dairy Queen blizzard. They’re made dairy, gluten, and refined sugar free and are packed with some protein, healthy fats, and fiber, to create a hunger-crushing combo that won’t spike your blood sugar! Rich, creamy banana nice cream layered with chunks of peanut butter cookie dough – YUM.
I grew up on Dairy Queen blizzards, they were always my favorite treat. Specifically the butterfinger and cookie dough options – SO GOOD. I don’t know how my younger self was able to put down an entire large size to myself, ha. Now that I live a dairy, refined sugar, and gluten free lifestyle, I love making these at home. I choose to pack them full of protein and fiber so they balance my blood sugar, while still feeling like a fun treat.
Is this cookie dough blizzard healthy?
I am all about treating yourself but when it comes to having something on the daily, i’d much rather make it at home with better for you ingredients! This version is:
-Lower in sugar & only sweetened with bananas
-Packed full of protein to keep you satiated & satisfied
-Contains fiber, which is essential for gut health, digestion, & will also help you feel full
-Contains a heathy source of fat, which is essential for body & brain function
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Coconut cream cubes: Simply freeze coconut cream in an ice cube tray. You can sub another 1/2 frozen banana but the recipe will have a stronger banana flavor.
- Frozen cauliflower rice: This is totally optional, but adds extra vitamins, minerals, and fiber to the recipe. YOU CAN’T TASTE IT. I promise. It also adds to the consistency of the blizzard, making it thicker and more ice cream-like.
- Protein powder: If you don’t have protein powder, you can leave it out. Be mindful that protein powder usually adds some sweetness/flavor to the recipe. So if you opt to leave it out, you may want to add in a few tablespoons of maple syrup/honey. If you want to add protein to the recipe without using powder, add in a few tablespoons of hemp hearts!
- Ground flax seeds: This is optional, but an easy way to up the nutrient and fiber content of the recipe!
- Peanut butter: You can swap in any nut or seed butter that you like or have on hand!
- Maple syrup: This is used to sweeten the cookie dough bits, but you can swap in any sticky sweetener!
Tips & tricks to make the best peanut butter cookie dough blizzard
- Start with a little milk at a time. You’ll want to make sure you make the thickest consistency to resemble an ice cream texture! Add a little milk to the blender, blend, scrape down the sides, blend again. Then add a little more milk as you need to, repeating.
- Enjoy straight away! These are best enjoyed right after you make them. You could store them in the freezer, but you’d need to let them thaw awhile before consuming and they just taste better right away!
Other recipes you’ll love!
- Dairy queen pumpkin pie blizzard
- Cinnamon roll smoothie
- Vegan banana cinnamon rolls
- Eggnog shake (Vegan, high protein)
Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Blizzard (Vegan, Paleo)
- 1/2-1 frozen banana *see post above for substitutes
- 1/2 cup frozen coconut cream cubes *see post above for substitutes
- 1/3 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 serving protein powder of choice
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
Cookie dough bites
- 1/4 cup protein powder
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch sea salt (if your peanut butter isn't salted)
- Mix together the cookie dough ingredients. Roll into balls. Alternatively, you can just use it as crumbles/crumble it into the nice cream.
- Add all of the nice cream ingredients to your blender, adding a little milk at a time, scraping down the sides every so often. You'll want to make sure you don't add all the milk at once or it may not turn out as thick. Taste and adjust as you'd like.
- Layer the dough and the nice cream in a jar and enjoy!