This matcha affogato is a fun spin on a traditional affogato, especially perfect for those who don’t love coffee or can’t have it. The combination of vanilla ice cream, topped with warm, frothy matcha is absolutely to die for and such a fun treat! These only take a few minutes to make, too!
What is an affogato?
An affogato is a dessert made with two ingredients: vanilla ice cream and espresso. Originally invented in Italy, the word “affogato” literally translates as “drowned” in English, which is perfect as the affogato is no more than a scoop of ice cream “drowned” in espresso.
Why you’ll love a matcha affogato
If you’ve quit coffee, don’t love the flavor of it, or just really love matcha, you’ll love this version!
-Most people can tolerate the small amounts of caffiene in matcha over espresso.
-It’s two ingredients & takes to minutes to make!
-High quality matcha is packed full of polyphenols which have been proven to reduce inflammation, slow aging, among so many other benefits.
Ingredients you’ll need
Vanilla ice cream: You can use homemade ice cream or store bought. I use a no sugar-added vanilla ice cream from the brand So Delicious.
Milk of choice: You can also sub water but milk makes it creamier! I use cashew milk.
Sweetener of choice: This is totally optional. The tea I linked above is great because it doesn’t really need to be sweetened. However, if you’re using a strong matcha that does, feel free to add a little maple syrup or sweetener of choice to the tea while you froth it.
How to make a matcha affogato
- Add some matcha to the bottom of a cup. Add sweetener if using. Add 1/4 cup warmed milk or water. Froth the matcha until frothy.
- Add some ice cream to a cup. Slowly pour the matcha over the ice cream. Enjoy!
Fun ways to switch them up!
Fruit and matcha are incredible together. Try serving this with strawberry ice cream instead of vanilla!
More recipes you’ll love
Caramel ribbon crunch frappuccino (healthy, vegan)
Macadamia cookie dough bars (high protein)
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1-2 tsp matcha
- 1/4 cup milk, of choice
- 1-2 tsp sweetener *if needed
- Add your matcha to a small bow or glass. Add in sweetener if using and the warmed milk. Froth using a hand frother until nice and frothy.
- Scoop the ice cream into a small, wide cup.
- Pour the matcha slowly over the ice cream. Enjoy immediately!