These healthier vegan Butterfingers are the perfect easy, treat to curb your sweet tooth! This recipe is a whole-food based take on the classic, but just as satisfying, and you only need a handful of ingredients to throw them together!
Why you’ll love these healthier Vegan Butterfingers:
I grew up on the classic butterfinger bars. Like, I am pretty sure I survived off Dairy Queen Butterfinger Blizzards (Thanks, dad!). But unfortunately, they are packed full of a ton of ingredients that aren’t as nourishing as I’d like. So this recipe is the next best thing. They’re no-bake, so they don’t take a ton of time to make, they are sweet and a little salty, and that crunch is addicting! When you let them set up in the freezer, the texture becomes so similar to that of a normal butterfinger!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Chocolate – Use your favorite, high-quality chocolate as this really adds the overall flavor of the recipe! I used these!
- Peanut Butter – If you can’t have peanut butter, you can sub in any nut/seed butter. Just remember that it won’t have the classic butterfinger taste!
- Corn Flakes – You can sub in any crunchy cereal of choice, but the corn flakes really give the butterfingers that perfect texture. I used a pear juice-sweetened corn flake cereal to keep these refined sugar-free!
- Maple Syrup – You could sub honey or other sticky sweetener
- Coconut Sugar – Any granulated sweetener should work! You could sub Monk Fruit to make them lower sugar.
- Cacao Butter or Coconut Oil – Cacao butter gives these a real candy-bar like feel, but I know it’s not widely available to everyone. So coconut oil will work just as well!
- Vanilla & Sea salt – obviously optional, but it always adds a little something, something
Step by Step Instructions:
Tools I Used:
Step 1: Add the coconut oil and sugars to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly, until everything melts together nicely. Remove from the heat and stir in the peanut butter, sea salt, and vanilla.
Step 2: Crunch the cereal up a bit and add to the peanut butter mixture, folding it in.
Step 3: Press the mixture into an ice cube tray or candy bar mold. You could also press it into a loaf pan, but cutting them into bars may be difficult. Place in the freezer to firm up.
Step 4: Melt the chocolate until smooth and dip each bar. Place onto a lined cookie sheet and return to the freezer to fully set-up, at least 2 hours.
Storing Healthy Butterfingers:
Store the butterfingers in an air-tight container in the freezer. Let them thaw for 5-10 minutes before enjoying for best texture! They should save for a few months in the freezer, IF they last that long!
Healthier Vegan Butterfingers
- 1 3/4 cup Corn Flake Cereal
- 1/2 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil *if needed to thin the chocolate
- Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, and coconut sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low, allowing it to simmer for a few minutes until it begins to thicken a little. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Then the cereal.
- Using an ice cube tray or a mold with long rectangular shapes, divide the mixture amongst them, pressing it in firmly. Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until hardened.
- Melt the chocolate until smooth. You can stir in a tbsp of coconut oil if you need to thin the chocolate a bit to make the dipping easier. Dip each bar and place on a lined cookie sheet. Return to freezer until chocolate has hardened. Enjoy!