These protein ice cream bites are perfect to curb any sweet tooth or that post workout sweat! They are gluten and refined sugar free, vegan, and made with whole food ingredients while being incredibly creamy and perfectly sweet!
Ingredients and substitutions
Protein powder: This is optional however it adds a healthy dose of protein, creaminess, and flavor to the recipe. I love using Truvani peanut butter protein in these! You can use the code “dani” for a discount on their entire site!
Milk: I like to use full-fat canned coconut milk for the creamiest texture, however any milk will work. I recommend using a creamy option!
Maple syrup: You can also use honey or monk fruit.
Cashew butter: Cashew butter offers the most ice cream-like flavor, however you can sub almond butter with great results! Sunflower butter makes a great nut-free option and peanut butter is amazing for peanut butter ice cream bites!
Thick coconut yogurt: You can also use a thick greek yogurt but the thicker the better! I love the brand CocoJune for coconut yogurt!
Chocolate chips: I use Hu Kitchen to keep these refined sugar free! You can use code: danishealthyeats for a discount on their site!
How to make protein ice cream bites
- First, blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth.
- Next, pour the batter into an ice cube tray or similar mold. These can also be made in a mini cupcake tin, they will just turn out round.
- Freeze the molds for 4-5 hours until completely firm.
- Dip the bites in melted chocolate and return to the freezer.
How to store leftover ice cream bites
These are best stored in an air-tight container in the freezer. They are super creamy but are best if you let them thaw a few minutes before enjoying!
More recipes you’ll love
Protein ice cream bites (vegan, paleo)
Ice cream bites
- 1/2 cup cashew butter *Can sub any nut/seed butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk, of choice *more as needed
- 1/4 cup of your favorite protein powder * can omit
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract & pinch of sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted *if needed to help thin the chocolate
- Blend all of the ice cream bite ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth, starting with 1/2 cup milk. If your mixture is super thick, you can add 1/4 cup extra milk. Taste & adjust as you’d like (more vanilla, sweetener, etc).
- Pour into an ice cube tray or mold & freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Once completely frozen, melt the chocolate in a bowl. If your chocolate is super thick, you may need to thin it out with some coconut oil. This will make the bites easier to coat.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove the cubes from the mold. Quickly dunk each one & place on the tray. Return to the freezer for 20 mins until chocolate has hardened.
- These are best if you leave them out for a couple minutes to thaw before enjoying!