These healthy frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches are perfect for when the summer temps hit or when you need a refreshing treat! These come together with only a few ingredients and are so simple to make. You can use coconut yogurt to make them vegan or greek yogurt if you prefer!
Why you’ll love these frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches
These are a more wholesome take on the classic ice cream sandwich while not lacking on any flavor and you could even get away with having them for breakfast 😉
-Made with wholesome ingredients like coconut yogurt, (optional) protein powder, and your favorite fruit & nut or protein bars.
-They couldn’t be easier to make!
-No baking required!
-Refined sugar and gluten-free option – Most ice cream bars contain high amounts of sugar and contain gluten, so this is a great option for those with specific dietary needs.
Ingredients to make frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches
Yogurt: I opt for coconut yogurt (I love the brand CocoJune). You’ll want to use a super thick yogurt to yield the creamiest results. You can also use a thick greek yogurt for a high protein option.
Protein Powder: This is optional, but can add extra protein and flavor to the recipe if you use a flavor you really love. Because coconut yogurt isn’t as high in protein as greek yogurt, I like to add a scoop to mine for a boost. I highly recommend Truvani (You can use DANI for 20% off).
Bars: Snack/protein bars are used for the base here! I love that it makes these so easy. Bars like LaraBar, GoMacro, or any softer protein bar would work great here! You want to be able to roll them out flat so I find fruit and nut based bars work best. You’ll want to avoid bars covered in chocolate.
Cashew butter: This is also optional but I find adding it gives the yogurt a creamier texture that I love.
Milk: You’ll use a splash to help mix everything together.
Vanilla extract: I like to add vanilla to my yogurt to add a little extra flavor.
how to make healthy frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches
- Start by making the frozen yogurt ice cream. I like to use a cardboard container to make this process easier. You can add the protein, milk, vanilla, and optional sweetener to the container itself, freeze it, and then slice rounds using a knife. Then you peel off the container from the rounds.
- Roll out the bars until they’re flat. Use a cookie cutter or mason jar lid to cut rounds out of the bars to create the cookies.
- Add a “cookie” to the bottom and top of each frozen yogurt round. Enjoy!
How to make ice cream sandwiches if using a plastic container of yogurt
As mentioned above, I typically use a container of yogurt that I can cut through. If you’re using a plastic container of yogurt, you can make these into bars and cut them later on to make this process easier, since you won’t be able to cut rounds.
Simply line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Press 2-4 bars (depending on how large your bars are) into the bottom of the pan. Top with the yogurt. Freeze for a couple of hours until the ice cream is hard enough to add the top layer of bars to. Let the bars thaw for a few minutes to make cutting easier. Cut into bars and enjoy!
How to store leftover ice cream sandwiches
Store extra sandwiches in an air-tight container in the freezer.
Tips & tricks
-If your bars are pretty hard/solid, warm them up for 15 or so seconds to make rolling them out easier.
-If you don’t own a rolling pin, use a large jar or glass to roll the bars out.
-If you don’t own a circle cookie cutter, use a mason jar lid or something of the sort to cut out circles. I used the bottom of my yogurt container.
-Let the bars thaw for 10 or so minutes for a creamier texture.
More ice cream recipes to try
Healthy Frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches (Vegan)
- 4-5 fruit & nut or protein bars of choice *You may need more/less depending on how large your bars are
- 1 16oz container of yogurt
- 3 tbsp of your favorite protein powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cashew butter *optional but makes them even better!
- 1 tbsp milk
If making round sandwiches
- You can either blend all of the frozen yogurt ingredients together & then add back to the yogurt container or just mix it inside the container really well until no clumps remain. Taste the mixture & adjust as you'd like.
- Freeze the container for 5-6 hours-overnight until completely firm.
- If your bars are firm/hard, heat them for 15-20 seconds to soften them slightly. This will make rolling them out easier. Roll them out on parchment paper. Cut rounds out of the bars to create the cookies. I cover mine and place them in the freezer while I wait for the yogurt to firm.
- When ready to assemble the sandwiches, remove the yogurt from the freezer and let thaw for 10-15 minutes. This will make cutting it easier. Turn the yogurt container on its side. Using a serrated knife, carefully slice rounds out of the container, removing the cardboard from the yogurt if they don't just pop out.
- Add a cookie to the top and bottom of the sandwich. You can let them thaw a bit more if the yogurt is really frozen or enjoy immediately.
If making square sandwiches
- If your bars are firm/hard, heat them for 15-20 seconds to soften them slightly. This will make them easier to work with. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Press 2-3 bars into the bottom of the pan until it's completely covered.
- Blend or mix together the yogurt ingredients until smooth. Taste & adjust as you'd like. Pour over the base.
- Place in the freezer for 4-5 hours or until firm. Once firm, press the remaining bars over top until the yogurt layer is covered.
- Let the bars thaw for 10-15 minutes to make them easier to cut. Then, cut into squares.