Don’t let these little babies fool you.. they are so easy, come together quickly, and are such a cute little festive treat! I like to make these no-bake cake rolls spiced cake and add a bunch of spices to them but you can really play around with the recipe to any flavor you like!
I LOVE these cake rolls. I always have to have something sweet in the freezer for when I want something sweet and they are just perfect. They also make a fun treat to get out for dessert at get-togethers!
What ingredients do you need to make the no-bake cake rolls?
- oat flour: I haven’t tested any substitutes for this!
- protein powder: I think adding your favorite protein powder is a great way to level up the flavor of these rolls, however you can add more oat flour instead. You may want to add in some coconut sugar or granulated sweetener though, as the protein adds a bit of sweetness to the recipe. You can use code “amb-dani” for a discount on my favorite protein!
- Spices: I like to make these spiced cake rolls so I add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and a pinch of cardamom and cloves. However this is optional!
- almond butter: You can sub any nut or seed butter!
- dates: You could sub maple syrup however I wouldn’t know measurements as I haven’t tried it!
- Plant milk
What about the frosting?
For the frosting there’s two options – First, buy a store-bought frosting that you love to make your life even easier. I love the Simple Mills brand because the ingredients are great, but there are a ton of healthier options out on the market now! I’ll usually opt for their vanilla flavor. Secondly, you can make home-made cashew cream, which I absolutely LOVE. It doesn’t end up as firm as the frosting, but still great! I keep leftovers to use as frosting, icing, “cream cheese”, etc. So Good!
How to make the cake rolls:
- Mix together the dough ingredients.
- Roll out into a flat rectangle on parchment paper.
- Top with the frosting, spreading it into a single layer.
- Roll the dough up into a log & freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
How to store the rolls:
Store them in an air-tight container in the freezer. Let them thaw for 10 minutes before enjoying!
No-Bake Cake Rolls
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup protein powder *
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup almond butter **
- 6 large dates soaked
- 1/4-1/3 cup plant milk
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, cardamom, & pinch of cloves
Store-bought Frosting Option
- 1/2 cup store bought frosting of choice
Cashew Forsting Option
- 1 cup cashews soaked
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or cacao butter melted
- pinch of sea salt
- To make the cashew cream, add everything to a food processor and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust as needed. This will make extra, so I store any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge and use as frosting, "cream cheese", etc.
- To make the Swiss rolls, add all of the ingredients to a processor until the dough forms. Start with a 1/4 a cup of milk & add more as needed. You don’t want the dough to be wet but you want it to hold together. Taste & add a little maple or coconut sugar if you like them sweeter!
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle on a lined cookie sheet about 1/2 an inch thick. Spread an even layer of frosting of choice over the top.
- Starting from a long end, use the paper to help roll the dough up tight. Place in the freezer for 30ish minutes to harden up a bit (makes cutting easier).
- Once firm, cut into slices & enjoy! Keep any leftovers in the freezer! You can let them thaw for a few minutes before consuming if you'd like!