Vegan millionaire’s shortbread like no other! Chewy shortbread base, gooey caramel center, enrobed in chocolate, with a sprinkle of sea salt. These are INSANE, while being vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free.Jump to Recipe
Millionaire’s shortbread is one of my favorite recipes of all time. I am VERY passionate about the chocolate caramel combo and these are everything I could ever want in a treat. I feel like they’re especially good to have around the holidays – a fun way to switch it up! If you’re a fan of the chocolate caramel combo too, you also have to try my vegan twix cookies!
What is millionaire’s shortbread?
Besides amazing… 😉 It’s made up of three layers! A shortbread cookie base, a gooey caramel center, and chocolate coating. They kind of give me an elevated twix bar vibe!
Why you’ll love this recipe
It’s actually SO easy to make.
It makes a great whole-food option for dessert!
They’re versatile! Prefer white chocolate? Use that!
They taste absolutely incredible.
Ingredients & Substitutions
–Chocolate: I use Hu Kitchen as it’s sweetened with coconut sugar (You can use danishealthyeats for a discount).
–Maple syrup: Any sticky sweetener can be subbed.
–Canned coconut milk: Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk. You can most likely sub regular heavy cream.
–Coconut sugar: This is what you’ll use to sweeten the caramel. I’ve had success subbing 1/2 monk fruit sweetener for a lower sugar option.
How to make vegan millionaire’s shortbread
- Bake the shortbread base.
- While the base bakes, you’ll make the caramel on the stovetop. You mix everything togther and let it boil for a bit until it reaches caramel consistency.
- Then you place the bars in the freezer.
- Once the caramel layer is firm, you’ll melt the chocolate and pour it over the top.
- Then, you freeze again, for at least two hours before cutting into bars!
Tips on how to make the perfect caramel
I love this caramel sauce recipe because you don’t have to use a candy thermometer – so easy! You just combine everything in a saucepan, let it come to a boil, and stir frequently. But, here are a few tips to make the best caramel!
- Use full-fat canned coconut milk. Light coconut milk will NOT create the same quality caramel as full-fat, won’t be as gooey, or set up as nicely.
- Have patience! This caramel can take anywhere from 15-25 minutes, it’s kind of different every time. It may seem like it’s taking forever, but it’ll start to reduce!
- Stir FREQUENTLY. The mixture is going to be bubbling constantly, so it’s really important to stir it every few minutes so it doesn’t burn.
Storing the shortbread
You’ll want to store these in an air-tight container in the freezer!
Other desserts you’ll love
Buckeye brownie Crumbl Cookies
Vegan Millionaire’s Shortbread
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 6 tbsp coconut flour
- 5 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine all of the shorbread ingredients together in a large bowl, mixing well until a dough forms. Press the dough into the bottom of a lined 8×8 pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden around the edges. Let cool completely.
- While the base is baking, start the caramel. Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Let the mixture boil for 15-20 minutes (it can sometimes take longer), stirring VERY frequently so it doesn't burn, until it reduces to a caramel consistency.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the base and place in the freezer for an hour or so to firm up.
- Once the caramel layer is firm, add the chocolate to a heat proof bowl. Melt in 20 second increments, stirring well between each, until melted and smooth. Pour over the base, tilting the pan to evenly disburse it. Sprinkle on some sea salt and place back in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Cut into bars. Store in the freezer in an air-tight container.
OH MY WORD !!!!!! Dani ! Youve done it YET Again you absolute Superstar ! These Vegan Millionaire’s Shortbread are OUT OF THIS WORLD Good !!!!! They literally taste better than the original version in the shops. They’re so addictive its hard to stop after one but we do haha! Keep it up look forward to more of your recipes 🌠 (please keep me anonymous if you do reply to this thanks!)
How thick should the caramel be on the stove? I cooked 20 minutes and it is thicker but still thinner than caramel I’ve had in the past …. Maybe this is normal…. Just wondering if you could add a note on this? Or even a video?
Hi Anna! It might take longer than 20 mins! Depending on certain stoves, brands, etc. it can take up to 30-35 mins! Just trust the process, i promise it’ll thicken up to a caramel consistency!