The best vegan frozen yogurt is thick, ultra creamy, and not only tastes good but is beneficial for your gut as well! Dessert with benefits! This recipe can be made with coconut yogurt to keep it vegan or you can use greek yogurt for a higher protein option! This is made in an ice cream maker for the best, creamiest results!
Why you’ll love this vegan frozen yogurt frozen yogurt
- Made with only five ingredients.
- It is versatile so you can add in anything you like or switch up the flavor.
- Naturally sweetened with dates.
- Contains beneficial bacteria for your gut health, from the yogurt.
- Ultra creamy!!!
Is frozen yogurt healthy?
I am all about desserts with benefits and not only being mindful of what we put into our bodies, but the WHY behind what ingredients we are using – as they all serve a purpose!
- Coconut milk & yogurt: Coconuts are packed full of healthy fats, specifically medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which make up the bulk of coconut oil. I know healthy fats can sometimes be scary for some, but MCTs MCTs have a fast rate of oxidation which results in an increase in energy expenditure & a decrease in weight gain (while also being amazing for your brain, hormones and satiety!) Coconut yogurt also carries a healthy dose of probiotics which are super beneficial for your gut.
- Dates: Dates are full of vitamin A, a vitamin that helps keep your eyes sharp and gives your skin a healthy glow. Their fiber content can help you feel satisfied and they’re packed with metabolism-boosting magnesium, which also helps keep your teeth strong and prevents osteoporosis.
- Dark chocolate chips: Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body, which is scary when most Americans are deficient in it. Well, the best news? Dark chocolate is a great source of it! It is also rich in minerals, such as iron and zin and contains high levels of antioxidants.
Do you need an ice cream maker to make the best vegan frozen yogurt?
Yes! I haven’t tried making this without an ice cream maker. For the best results, you’ll want to use one. Before getting one, I didn’t really want one. I didn’t think i’d use it much and I didn’t want another appliance taking up space. However, after getting it, its one of my most used appliances! Highly recommend! I have this one!
Making it without an ice cream maker: If you want to try making it without one, pour the blended ice cream mixture into a large glass container with a lid. Try stirring it every hour for the first three hours, to keep it from icing on the top, until completely firm. When ready to eat, let it thaw 5-10 minutes, give it a stir, then scoop.
How to make vegan frozen yogurt
Ingredients and substitutions
- Coconut yogurt: You will want to use a THICK coconut yogurt. I like CocoJune or Culina. You can also sub a full-fat THICK greek yogurt!
- Full fat canned coconut milk: You can sub heavy cream if not dairy-free.
- Dates: Medjool dates work best.
- Vanilla, sea salt, instant espresso powder: These give the ice cream it’s flavor. You can skip the espresso if you aren’t a fan!
- Add ins: Sometimes i’ll add in 2 tbsp coconut sugar for a more caramel taste. You can also add in chocolate chips or any chunks you like.
- The night before, place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer.
- The next day, when you’re ready to make the frozen yogurt, add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust as you’d like.
- Place the bowl onto the ice cream maker and turn it on according to it’s directions. Then pour the ice cream mixture into the maker, letting it churn for 20-25 minutes until thick.
How to store extra vegan frozen yogurt
Store the frozen yogurt in an air-tight container in the freezer. For best texture, let it thaw for 5-10 minutes, before eating.
Flavor variations to try
- Try adding in 1/4 cup cacao powder for a chocolate flavor.
- Add in a few tablespoons of cashew butter, a 1/2 tsp almond extract, and sprinkles for a birthday cake flavor.
- Add in pecans and omit the espresso powder for caramel pecan.
- Add in cookie dough chunks while churning for a cookie dough version.
More recipes to try
- Protein ice cream bites
- Healthy frozen yogurt ice cream sandwiches
- Nutter Butter Nice Cream
- Healthy blueberry crisp ice cream
Caramel Coffee Frozen Yogurt (Vegan)
- Ice Cream Maker
- 2 cups THICK Coconut Yogurt *can sub thick greek yogurt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk *See notes
- 1 cup packed, pitted medjool dates *soaked in hot water for 15 mins if they aren't soft.
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder *optional
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar *Totally optional. Adds an extra caramel flavor & a bit more sweetness, if needed!
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- good pinch sea salt
- handful chocolate chips *optional
- Place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer the night before.
- When you're ready to make the frozen yogurt, add all of the ingredients besides the chocolate chips (or other mix-ins you're using) in a high powered blender, until smooth. Taste and adjust as you'd like. Add in the mix-ins.
- Remove the bowl from the freezer and place on your ice cream maker. Get it ready to churn and turn it on, according to your makers instructions.
- Once on, pour the frozen yogurt mixture in. Let it churn for 20-25 minutes until super thick.
- Enjoy immediately or store in a glass container with a lid, in the freezer.
- Let it thaw for 5-10 minutes before eating for the best texture.