These healthy samoa caramel apple slices make an easy snack or sweet treat, made with an almond butter caramel and coconut filling, topped with chocolate.
Samoa cookies are hands down my favorite girl scout cookie, so these healthy samoa caramel apple slices are a fun spin on the classic treat! The coconut caramel filling is seriously so yummy, I mightttt make extra for spooning purposes..
Peanut butter and apples were one of my favorite snacks growing up, so this combination always feels so nostalgic to me and makes a hunger-busting mix, with healthy fats, carbs, and protein.
Ingredients and substitutions
Apples: The best part about these samoa apple slices, is you can use your favorite variety. I am obsessed with opal apples, so I chose those! If you want something more tart, granny smith would be perfect!
Almond butter: You will use this to create the samoa caramel topping! You can use any nut or seed butter in the coconut caramel mixture. Almond and cashew butters are more neutral, so I usually opt for those. Sunbutter or tahini make great nut-free swaps!
Maple syrup: You can sub any sticky sweetener. Honey would also be great! You can omit the sweetener to make it no sugar added, but you’d want to make sure you use a really runny nut butter, or the “caramel” won’t be very caramel-like.
Unsweetened coconut flakes: You’ll want to use finely shredded coconut as the large flakes won’t hold on the apples as well!
Chocolate Chips: I use coconut sugar sweetened chocolate chips to keep this recipe refined sugar free. You can also use dark chocolate chips.
How to make Healthy samoa caramel apple slices
- Toast the coconut.
- Core the apples and slice into thin rounds.
- Mix together the coconut caramel filling.
- Spread some of the filling on each round.
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle some over each slice.
- Place in the fridge for a few to firm up.
Other apple topping ideas
I feel like apples are so versatile and there’s so many ways to spruce them up!
-Coconut yogurt, drizzle of honey or maple, & chopped walnuts
-Nut butter & a sprinkle of granola
-Almond butter, cinnamon, & sprinkle of raisins
more snack recipes to try
Healthy Samoa Caramel Apple Slices
- 1 apple
coconut caramel filling
- 1/4 cup almond butter *See notes
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup finely shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp vanilla *optional
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Core your apple. I used a large metal straw and punctured the apple through the bottom, using it to core out a hole/all the seeds. Then slice it into rounds.
- Mix together the nut butter and maple syrup. Then stir in the coconut flakes. Add a little to the top of each apple slice.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl. Then drizzle a little over each slice.
- Place in the fridge to allow the chocolate to harden. Then enjoy!