This vegan aquafaba chocolate mousse without eggs is made for the chocolate lover! With only 5 ingredients, this delicious dessert couldn’t be easier to make. Aquafaba replaces the eggs in typical mousse and creates the most fluffiest texture, you won’t be able to resist!
What is aquafaba?
Aquafaba is essentially chickpea water – the liquid that you would drain from a can of chickpeas. It makes an amazing vegan alternative to egg whites and can be whipped into stiff peaks just like them! Rather than draining the liquid and tossing it out, this is going to be used as the base of our mousse!
Aquafaba is the perfect answer to egg-free and vegan baking swaps! This is a great article diving into all things aquafaba and ways to use it!
Is chocolate mousse with aquafaba healthy?
This aquafaba chocolate mousse without egggs is made with just 5 nourishing ingredients:
- Chocolate: You can use dark chocolate or milk chocolate. I love using Hu Kitchen for a refined sugar-free option. (You can use my code “danishealthyeats” for a discount).
- Sweetener: I like to use monk fruit powdered sugar as it doesn’t deflate the aquafaba as much as some others can, but you can also use another granulated sweetener like coconut sugar, caster sugar, etc.
- Vanilla and sea salt: These are optional but add extra flavor to the mousse!
- Cream of tartar or lemon juice: This helps stabalize the aquafaba and prevents it from deflating.
How to make aquafaba chocolate mousse without eggs
Stand mixer method:
Make sure the bowl of your stand mixer has NO oil or water in it. Add the aquafaba to the bowl and place it on the stand mixer. Attach the whisk attachment. Let it whip the liquid for a few minutes until it forms stiff peaks. You cannot over-whip aquafaba, so the longer the better! Once stiff, while the mixer is running on low, add the sugar allowing it to completely mix in. Then add in the chocolate mixture, slowly drizzling it in a little at a time.
Hand mixer method:
Complete the same steps as above, except use an electric hand mixer! Once your aquafaba forms stiff peaks, which can take 10 or so minutes using the hand mixer, add your sugar. Whip that in until combined. Then, adding a little chocolate at a time, use spatula to fold in the chocolate mixture (don’t whip it in as it’ll loose it’s fluffiness!). After all the chocolate mixture is folded in, add the mousse to your jars and place in the fridge to firm up.
Tips for making the best chocolate mousse without eggs
- Use quality chocolate! There is no cream or anything added to this mousse to give it flavor, so using quality chocolate is key! Quality chocolate may be a little bit cheaper but it is WORTH IT.
- Be sure to allow the melted chocolate to cool prior to adding it to the whipped aquafaba. Adding it while it’s too hot will create a grainy mousse.
- Use the double boiler method to melt the chocolate. You don’t want the chocolate to get too hot as it’ll burn it.
- Make sure the bowl you add the aquafaba to has NO oil. Even a tiny drop of oil will cause the aquafaba to not whip.
- Be patient! It takes awhile for the aquafaba to whip into stiff peaks. Use a stand mixer if possible, as this makes it the easiest and will save you time! However, you can use a hand mixer, it will just take a little longer (still easy though!)
More recipes you may love:
- Lemon blueberry chia pudding with yogurt
- No bake gluten free banana pudding
- Healthy no bake samoa girl scout cookies
- The best vegan frozen yogurt
Aquafaba Chocolate Mousse without Eggs
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp powdered sweetener *I use monk fruit powdered sugar
- 5 oz QUALITY Chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- Fill a small pot with water 1/3 of the way up. Place it over low-medium heat. Place a glass bowl on top, making sure it's large enough that the bottom doesn't touch the water (this can burn the chocolate).
- Add the chocolate and coconut oil to the bowl. Stir every so often until the chocolate is completely smooth and melted. Remove the bowl from the pan and let it cool as much as possible, without it turning solid. It should not feel warm to touch.
- Grab the bowl of your stand mixer OR a large glass bowl you can use with your hand mixer. It is CRUCIAL that the bowl doesn't have any oil or oil residue on it or the aquafaba won't whip!
- Drain the liquid from the can of chickpeas into a the bowl. Start your stand mixer, with the whisk attachment on high speed. Whip a few minutes until super stiff peaks form. You cannot over-whip aquafaba, so if you feel safer running it a few more minutes, go for it!
- Note on methods – i like the texture of this mousse better in a stand mixer, but its still great by hand!
- Hand Mixer instructions: With the hand mixer going, add in the sugar, beatign until combined. Using a spatula, fold the chocolate mixture into the aquafaba in 3 increments(1/3 of it at a time), being gentle as you fold it in, careful to not loose the fluff! Once mixed in, divide it amongst the jars!
- Stand mixer: With the mixer going on medium speed, add in the sweetener. Once that is mixed in, slowly drizzle in the cooled chocolate mixture. It's important to go slow. Drizzle a little in, then let it mix a second. Then continue, repeating this. Once all the chocolate mixture is completely combined, stop the mixer. Divide the mousse amongst 4 glass jars.
- I liked to add coconut whip on top (or cool whip!). Place the lids on the jar and let set in the fridge for at least an hour!