If you’re looking for an easy plant-based breakfast recipe, look no further than this vegan tofu & chickpea omelette. These are so easy to throw together and taste just like the real deal! The texture is so similar, even my friends who don’t love tofu like these! It makes a great high protein vegan breakfast option!
Why you’ll love this tofu & chickpea omelette
Vegan tofu & chickpea omelettes are so easy to make!
They are great if you’re low on groceries, because you can fill them with whatever you have on hand.
You can spice them up with all of your favorite herbs and seasonings.
They are high protein, full of fiber, and will keep you full all morning long.
They are a great plant-based alternative to the classic breakfast food.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Tofu – I like to use firm tofu for this recipe. I feel like it makes for a sturdier omelette.
Chickpea Flour: I haven’t tested any subs for this. It really adds a great texture to the omelette. You can find this at most grocery stores. I usually buy it at Kroger or Whole Foods. I also linked it here on amazon!
Herbs & Seasonings – You can really use any of your favorites. Garlic powder, sea salt and pepper, nutritional yeast, and a little oregano are my usual staples.
Fillings – Just like a normal omelette, you can fill these with whatever you have on hand or whatever your favorite omelette mix-ins are. I love the classic mixture of onion, red pepper, spinach, and mushrooms.
Toppings – I love topping these with salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole or avocado, and some fresh cilantro. You can go classic and just stick to ketchup or hot sauce, too!
How to store a vegan tofu & Chickpea omelette
These are best made when ready to eat. However, you could make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.
Other breakfast recipes you’ll love!
Healthy Vegan Tofu Omelette
- 150g silken tofu
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour *See Notes
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 7 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlicSalt + pepper to taste
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 3 mini bell peppers, chopped
- 1 handful spinach or greens
- 1/4 cup chopped mushrooms **
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese optional
- Blend the omelette ingredients in a blender until smooth. I go heavy on the seasonings, as this really creates the flavor of the omelette.
- Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to thicken up, while you cook the fillings.
- To cook the fillings, add a little olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook a few minutes, until they begin to soften. Then add in the peppers, mushrooms, and spinach. Cook a few minutes longer until the veggies are softened. Remove the veggies from the pan and place on a plate.
- Add half (or all) of the mixture to the pan, spreading it out into a circle – you can make them small or large like I did. Cover & allow to cook for 6-10 mins until the top is dry. Add your fillings & flip one side over. Remove to a plate & add your toppings.
- You can make one large omelette or two small ones. If making small ones, add 1/2 the mixture to the pan, spreading it out into a circle. Be sure not to make it too thin, as you don't want it to break. Cover and let cook 6-10 minutes until the top is dried out.
- Add 1/2 the filling to one side. You can sprinkle on a little vegan cheese shreds if you'd like. Then gently flip the other side over, forming the omelette.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy immediately.