This 2 ingredient chocolate mousse couldn’t be easier and is such a decadent treat! It’s vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free, too! It’s made using chocolate and aquafaba! If you haven’t used aquafaba before, it’s the liquid from canned chickpeas – but don’t be turned away! It’s a great plant-based egg white sub!
When I first heard of aquafaba, I’m not going to lie, I was a little intimidated. I’ve never been a fan of using beans in sweet recipes or deserts, so why the heck would I use the liquid from the can? It kind of made me cringe! But, behold, it is MAGIC. You can whip it with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form like egg whites would and use it wherever you’d use them! It’s great in mousse, vegan aquafaba mayonnaise, merengues – there are tons of possibilities!
Does the mousse taste like beans?
Not even a little! If you made this and didn’t tell someone it was made using the aquafaba, they would never know! It isn’t salty and doesn’t have a weird aftertaste. I wouldn’t recommend trying it straight up, we are talking about the taste of it in desserts here! lol
what you will need to make the 2 ingredient chocolate mousse:
Aquafaba: The liquid from canned chickpeas. You will just drain the liquid into a large bowl and you’re ready to go!
Chocolate Chips: Use your favorite brand! This is what gives the mousse it’s flavor so you will want to make sure it’s chocolate you LOVE. I away recommend Hu Kitchen because it’s the best and refined sugar-free. You can use code “danishealthyeats” for a discount!
Sea salt: Sea salt and chocolate is iconic. This gives it the perfect touch!
Vanilla: You can omit the vanilla if you’re not a fan, but I think it really elevates the mousse!
Any other additional add-ins: Peanut butter, chopped nuts, flavors/seasonings are all great additions to spice the mousse up!
How to make the 2 ingredient chocolate mousse:
- Melt the chocolate until smooth and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Add the aquafaba to a glass bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the aquafaba until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in the melted chocolate, half at a time.
- Once mixed, add the mousse to jars and place in the fridge to chill.
- Top with coconut whip or coconut yogurt and enjoy!
Do you have to use a hand mixer or can you use a blender? I have tried this in a blender, but it doesn’t work the same. It won’t whip the aquafaba to stiff peaks like a hand mixer will. I haven’t tried it in a stand mixer! But I have this hand mixer and LOVE it – they’re pretty inexpensive too!
Will the mousse loose some height when you’re folding the chocolate in? Yes! That’s okay. Just fold it in until combined, try to limit excess stirring. And be slow!
What can you top the mousse with? I love topping mine with coconut whip, chopped fruit, chopped nuts or seeds, a drizzle of peanut butter, etc. The possibilities are endless!
2 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
- liquid from 1 can organic chickpeas
- 5 oz Chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- Add the chocolate to a heat-proof bowl and either microwave or use the double-broiler method to melt the chocolate until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and sea salt. Set aside to bring it to too temp (a few minutes).
- Drain the liquid from the chickpeas to a large glass or steel bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the liquid until stiff peaks form. Be patient, this can take awhile!
- One the chocolate is at room temp, slowly drizzle it into the mousse, folding it in half at a time. The mousse will loose some height, that's okay! Just be gentle.
- Divide amongst jars and add any toppings you'd like. I layered mine with coconut yogurt and strawberries.
- Place in the fridge until ready to eat. Enjoy!