If you want a healthy treat that will unlock some childhood memories, these vegan peanut butter and jelly bars are IT. Theres nothing cozier then the classic PB&J combo. These have a shortbread cookie base, peanut butter filling, and are topped with strawberry jam! They’re also gluten and refined sugar-free and vegan, so they can fit almost every diet!
When it comes to dessert, 9/10 times I’m a chocolate kind of girl. But I recently had some requests for desserts that didn’t have chocolate and I felt stumped.. Until I remembered how good the classic peanut butter and jelly combo is! I took my classic Twix bars and instead of adding the chocolate layer on top, I swapped it for jelly and it was a GREAT move! If you’re fan, you have to try these!
ingredients & substitutions
Peanut Butter: You can sub any nut or seed butter if you can’t do peanut, but it makes it the most classic in my opinion!
Jelly: You can use store-bought or homemade! Any flavor will work – I usually opt for strawberry, blackberry, or raspberry! If buying store-bought, I try and find a jelly or jam that doesn’t include any added sugars or preservatives.
Almond flour: Almond flour gives a light and airy texture to the recipe! I haven’t tested any substitutes but cashew flour or other nut flour may work!
Tapioca flour: This adds a cookie texture to the base and helps keep it slightly chewy on the outside and softer in the center! You could try subbing arrowroot flour.
Maple Syrup: This will add the perfect amount of sweetness to the recipe! You can sub any sticky sweetener.
Coconut oil: This acts as a stabilizer in the peanut butter layer and the cookie base. You can always sub a neutral flavored oil or even vegan butter.
How to make vegan peanut butter and jelly bars:
- Mix together the base ingredients and press into a loaf pan. Bake.
- Let cool. Mix together the filling ingredients. Spread over the cooled based.
- Add the jam on top, spreading it evenly. Top with peanuts.
- Place in the freezer to set completely before cutting into squares!
Storing the bars
You’ll want to store these in an air-tight container in the freezer. Let them thaw a few minutes before enjoying for the best texture!
Other recipes you’ll love
Vegan Protein Cheesecake Parfait
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on instagram @danishealtyeats so I can see your remakes! Nothing makes my day more!
Vegan Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
Peanut Butter Jelly layer
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup peanut butter1/3 cup maple syrup2 tbsp melted coconut oil2/3 cup jelly of choice1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2/3 cup jelly of choice
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all the base ingredients until dough forms.
- Press into a lined 8×8 baking dish or a loaf pan for thicker bars. Bake for 14-18 mins (oven time will vary depending on pan size) until golden around the edges. Let cool.
- Mix together the nut butter, oil, & maple until smooth. Spread over the base. Then, spread the jelly carefully over top of that. Sprinkle chopped peanuts over top.
- Place in the freezer until hardened, at least two hours. Cut into bars & enjoy!