If you need a new salad to add to your rotation, let it be this broccoli crunch salad! It is absolutely AMAZING, pairs well with any protein, has all the textures and flavors, and is so healthy! It’s also incredibly easy to just chuck together. You’ll love this one, pinky promise!
What’s in this broccoli crunch salad?
Broccoli: The star of the show! I promise even the non-broccoli lovers love this one! Broccoli is my favorite cruciferous veggie and is chock-full of nutrients!
Toasted sunflower seeds: Toasting them adds such a depth of flavor to the recipe and the perfect crunch! You could also sub toasted pine nuts.
Shredded carrots: These are packed full of nutrients and add a pop of color to the recipe.
Red cabbage: I am such a fan of cabbage. It’s full of anti-cancer properties and is so easy to chop and throw in the mix! You could always use green cabbage as well, but we love to see some dark purple veg!
Red onion: Hot tip – you can soak your chopped onions in cold water to take away some of the bitterness, before adding them to the salad.
What about the dressing?
This dressing is one of my absolute favorites, I actually use it in so many different salad recipes. It’s great to prep a large batch and keep it in a mason jar for the week! You will need..
Dijon mustard: Stone ground or spicy mustard could also work.
White wine or balsamic Vinegar
Sweetener of choice: Maple syrup, honey, or monk fruit all work great.
Avocado oil mayonnaise: You can sub any mayonnaise, however I like to use a quality avocado oil based one. If you’re not a mayo fan, feel free to sub greek yogurt or a thick plant-based yogurt.
Nutritional Yeast: This is optional but adds such a great flavor and b12!
Spices: Garlic, paprika, and sea salt & pepper
Can you add protein to the salad?
YES! I always add a protein on the side or in the salt itself.
Vegan options: Hemp seeds, grilled/air-fried tofu, marinated tempeh, chickpeas or great northern beans, etc.
Non-vegan proteins: Grilled chicken, grilled salmon or shrimp, etc.
How to make the broccoli crunch salad:
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Toast your sunflower seeds in the oven until toasty to your liking.
- Shred and chop all of the veggies (if not buying pre-shredded/chopped) and add to the bowl.
- Add the sunflower seeds.
- Drizzle over the dressing and give everything a good toss. Enjoy!
Broccoli Crunch Salad
- 1 head broccoli chopped finely
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1/2 small head of red cabbage shredded/chopped
- 1/3-1/2 cup sunflower seeds toasted
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2-3 tbsp sweetener of choice *
- 1 tsp white win vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Start by toasting your sunflower seeds by adding them to a small pan over medium heat on the stove top. Stirring often, cook until they're toasty and fragrant. Let cool.
- Add everything to a large bowl and toss in the sunflower seeds.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the top (you can save leftovers for later if it's too much for your salad!). Toss everything together and serve immediately or leave in an air-tight container in the fridge.
This has such picnic vibes!! We’d totally bring this on a hiking picnic. Have you ever tried to do this dressing with tahini instead of mayo?
That is genius! I am a sucker for a tahini dressing!
I have subscribed to get your e-book many times and I never get it in my email. I would love to get it if possible.
Hi kellyann! I am so sorry, that is so weird! Let me double check to see what is going on. So sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime, i’ll go ahead and email it over to you personally! Thank you!!