If you’re looking for a new breakfast idea that is healthy, plant-based, and great for on the go, these tofu quiche cups are perfect! This vegan breakfast is packed full of nutrient dense ingredients that will keep you nourished and satiated all morning! They also make an awesome meal prep, as they’re super simple to make and save well!
I know the egg bites from Starbucks are all the rage and I’ve always wanted to try and recreate them. I began dabbling in making homemade plant-based quiches and they quickly became a staple for us! It’s kind of wild how similar they taste and look compared to the real deal. I swear Thomas doesn’t even know that it’s tofu!
I have made these two different ways. One with a chickpea flour base and the other with tofu. I definitely prefer the taste and the texture of the tofu version, and felt like most people have access to tofu, so we’ll start with these! Let me know in the comments below if you want me to share the chickpea version!
Are these Tofu Quiche cups a healthy option?
Yes! Tofu is packed full of protein, fiber, healthy fats, and calcium, making it a great filling, plant-based option to keep you satiated all morning long. You can also pack them full of veggies with also offer a punch of nutrients and fiber. Top with avocado or guacamole, or sauté the veggies in olive oil before adding to the tofu mixture for a dose of extra healthy fats.
What You’ll need to make the Tofu Quiche cups:
Tofu: This will be the base of the recipe. Full of protein and nutrients!
Veggies of choice: I usually opt for onion or leeks, a cruciferous veggie (Brussels, broccoli, riced cauliflower, etc.) a green (chopped collards, kale, or spinach are all easy!), and anything else in the fridge that needs to be used up. Bell peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes are all great.
Herbs and seasonings: Nutritional yeast adds a great cheesy profile to the recipe. Fresh herbs and spices will give them their flavor and also add in some antioxidants!
Olive oil: Just a little to cook the veggies in!
what you’ll do:
- Sauté your veggies.
- Add the tofu, seasonings, and milk to a blender, blending until smooth.
- Stir in the veggies.
- Divide amongst your muffin tin.
- Bake. Enjoy!
How to store the cups:
You’ll want to store these in an air-tight container in the fridge! When ready to eat, warm them up for a minute or so. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy! You can also pop them in the air fryer for a few minutes to get them a little crispy – I love doing that!
Other breakfast recipes you will love:
Tofu Quiche Cups
- 16 ounces block extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 7 grape tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 cup plant milk
- Pinch of turmeric
- sea salt & black pepper, red pepper, to taste
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dried chives (optional)
- Fresh basil for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a muffin tin (I don't like to use liners, because they always seem to stick to the paper).
- Press your tofu to release extra water.
- In a medium pan on medium heat, add the oil, garlic, and onion. Saute a few minutes until the onions have cooked through. Add in the spinach and cook a minute or so longer until it's wilted down. Season with sea salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- To a blender, add the tofu, any seasonings you'd like, nutritional yeast, milk, and baking powder. Blend for a few minutes, scraping down the sides, and blending again. Make sure it's completely smooth.
- Add the veggies into the blender and use a spoon to mix everything together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Top with the sliced tomato and any fresh basil you'd like.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool before loosening the edges with a knife and gently popping them out of the pan.
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat!