This Starbucks copycat caramel ribbon frap is SO close to the real deal, but made vegan, high protein, and refined sugar-free! I am all for enjoying the real deal, but when you want one on a regular basis, it’s great to have an option without all of the added sugar and crazy ingredients. And I’m not kidding when I say it seriously tastes like the real deal!
I tested two different caramel recipes for this recipe. The first is made on the stove top and takes about 20 minutes to make, BUT it’s so worth it! It tastes most like the real deal as it is actual caramel. The second, is a nut butter based caramel that you can quickly whisk together in a bowl. Again, equally as delish, just not the exact same flavor – if that makes sense!
What to do with the extra caramel?
This recipe will make enough caramel to have a few fraps, which is great because then you don’t have to be constantly making caramel! I love prepping a batch for the week. You can leave it in an air-tight mason jar in the fridge and warm it up a few seconds before using. You can also use it on pancakes, in dessert recipes, etc!
What you’ll need to make a copycat caramel ribbon frap:
Coffee: You can use your favorite ground coffee. I love Bulletproof coffee because it not only tastes amazing but is also tested for toxins/pesticides, which is so important as coffee is heavily sprayed! You can use code “dani20” for 20% off on any purchase on their website.
Plant Milk: Any milk will work.
Protein Powder: Use a really yummy tasting protein powder to add to the flavor of the recipe even more! I love using a vanilla or salted caramel protein powder. Macro Mike makes a really good caramelized white chocolate protein that is INSANE in this! You can use code “amb-dani” for a discount!
Coconut milk: Use full-fat canned coconut milk or the consistency of the caramel won’t be as authentic as normal caramel.
Maple Syrup: I haven’t tested any subs!
Monk fruit or coconut sugar: Either works! Coconut sugar will create a normal colored caramel, whereas the monk fruit caramel will be lighter in color.
How to make the frap:
- Brew the coffee and freeze in an ice cube tray.
- Make the caramel sauce and store until ready to use.
- When ready to make, blend the coffee cubes with protein powder, some milk, and a little of the homemade caramel. Enjoy!
Copycat caramel ribbon frap
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- Plant milk
- 1-2 tbsp caramel sauce
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 can full-fat coconut milk (or cream)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp monk fruit or coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (sub vegan butter/ghee)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla + Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla + sea salt
- Add everything to a saucepan over med-high heat bring it to a boil, stirring constantly. Let bubble for 2 mins then reduce heat to low & let simmer until it reduces (15-20mins). Let cool.
- Mix everything together until smooth, adding more oil if needed, to thin it out.
- I like to add the brewed coffee to a blender & add a splash or two of my favorite plant based creamer or milk. Then pour into ice cube tray & freeze.
- When ready to make, add the cubes to a blender with the protein, caramel sauce, & 1/2-3/4 cup plant milk. Start with a little & add more as needed (depending on how thick/thin you want it).
- Drizzle caramel around the cup, pour in the frap, top with coconut whip!